Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Pancake Tuesday, who knew?

So, do you what today is? Yes,it's Tuesday...and? Yes, it's Mardi Gras...and?

None other than 'Pancake Tuesday'. 'Huh?' I hear you shrug...yes, yet another Irish custom, and this one is a cherished childhood memory of mine that I thought I would share.

So, what is Pancake Tuesday?

Today is also known as 'Shrove Tuesday', 'tis the day before the fasting of Lent begins, so years ago in Ireland this meant having a good old feast of yummy, sticky goodness the day before the chocolate and alcohol were locked away in the build up to Easter. As a child, I remember our school cafeteria serving pancakes of questionable quality on Pancake Tuesday and my Mum and Dad always had pancakes as a side, or a dessert after dinner on Pancake Tuesday.

Sometimes festivities across Ireland and UK would mean pancake tossing competitions, and believe it or believe it not even the fabled Kate, the dear old Duchess of Cambridge along with 'Wills' came to Belfast, Northern Ireland last year to delight the onlookers with her pancake Tuesday tossing skills...William was very impressed I'm sure!

So, there you have it! Yet another piece of Irish fun-factness to store away, and to suitable mark the grand occasion my husband has gracefully agreed to share his secret Saturday morning pancake recipe with the world. It's his one culinary contribution, and of these fluffy rounds of goodness he is very pleased.

Enjoy!

Judie the Irish Foodie

(makes around 16 pancakes)

2 eggs
2 cups of flour (shifted)
3Tbs of sugar
2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
2-3 cups of buttermilk
1/2 stick of Irish butter, melted
1 tsp vanilla flavoring
2 Tsp of vegetable oil

Mix the dry ingredients together first, then add the eggs, butter, vanilla nd finally the buttermilk. Whisk lightly without overbeating and ladle onto the waiting hot griddle!

Believe me, once you've made real pancakes you'll never go back to store-bought mixes again....and sometimes to make these special, I'll whisk up some of my special Irish whiskey caramel sauce to spoon onto them. But that's another blog for another day my friends!!

J the I F

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to leave me a comment on the food, or any other aspect of Irishness. Enjoy!