Sunday, February 7, 2010

Twice Baked Irish Cheese Soufflés

In a few days I will take another small step toward that perverbial 'dream' by teaching a gourmet Irish cooking class at Whole Foods in Alpharetta. I have wanted to do this for ever, and now at last I'm walking into this role, and I'm very excited (As I'm sure you can tell!) To me, Whole Foods is the 'creme de la creme' for foodies in Atlanta and it's an honor to be there.
So, the big question is?.....What am I making?

Well, I'm making several mouth-watering things such as my Beef & Guinness signature dish with Irish champ, etc...but as a starter, I will be teaching the 'art' of creating 'Twice baked Irish Cheese Souffles', which I think will be a winner. (we hope!)

I made these for my family yesterday and they were a BIG hit! The light 'melt-in-your-mouth' quality of the souffles partnered with the richness of the Cashel blue cheese is a match made in foodie heaven. Then, serve the souffles with a crisp mixed green salad in a warm bacon dressing and you will have your dinner guests begging for more!

Why not try these sometime as an elegant starter, or as a light lunch option. You will be suprized just how good these are!

So, wish me luck at Whole Foods!

Judith,

Irish Blue Cheese souffles.

  • 3 Tbsp (1 ½ oz) butter (plus more for greasing ramekins)
  • 1 cup (8oz) whole milk
  • grating of nutmeg
  • 6 Tbsp (1 ½ oz) flour
  • 4 oz Vintage Irish Cheddar cheese (grated)
  • 2 oz Cashel Blue cheese (crumbled) (or Roquefort)
  • 4 eggs (separated)
  • 1 tsp English mustard
  • ¾ cup heavy whipping cream
  • 2 ½ oz (5 cups) mixed organic greens
  • warm bacon dressing (to drizzle)

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Butter 6 ramekin dishes and prepare baking pan for bain-marie (Pan must be at least 2 ‘deep).


2. In a medium size saucepan warm milk, onion and nutmeg and infuse for 10 minutes. Strain liquid in to a small bowl and discard the onion.


3. Prepare béchamel sauce by melting butter in a clean heavy based saucepan. Add the flour and cook for 1-2 minutes until it becomes a glossy, smooth paste, (being careful not to brown.) Whisk in the warmed milk a little at a time and stir until sauce thickens and comes to a gentle boil. Cook for 2 minutes and remove from heat. Stir in cheddar cheese. Beat in egg yolks one at a time and stir in mustard.


4. In a heavy duty mixer beat eggs whites until foamy. To lighten soufflés stir in a little of the egg white mixture and then fold the remaining using a large metal spoon.


5. Fill buttered ramekin dishes. Place them in a prepared pan and fill with boiling water from kettle at least ½” deep. Bake for 20 minutes and then transfer to a cooling rack to cool slightly. Turn out each soufflés upside down in to a large buttered baking dish. Cover and refrigerate for up to 24 hours.


6. To reheat the soufflés bring to room temperature. Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Sprinkle blue cheese on top of each one and then bake for 25 minute until lightly browned and puffed up.


7. Spoon cream over soufflés and bake for 5 more minutes.


8. Plate mixed greens and drizzle over warm bacon dressing. Serve souffles immediately on the side.


Enjoy!


(oh, and as ever, if you want to print this recipe for your own kitchen I suggest copying the text into Word and printing. If you print this blog you may explode all and every printer you own!)


3 comments:

  1. Good dispatch and this fill someone in on helped me alot in my college assignement. Gratefulness you for your information.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You ROCKED your class Judith! You were a great teacher and the food (as usual) was incredible, including these souffles. I will work for you anyday, if you ever need a kitchen helper, please call me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. How exciting about Whole Foods! You should post some details... I don't shop in Alpharetta normally, but I'd certainly head over for one of your classes!

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to leave me a comment on the food, or any other aspect of Irishness. Enjoy!