Sunday, February 12, 2012
Irish food for lovers! oooh...
Yes, believe it or believe it not we Irish can have a romantic side, and this week I have a super duper 'after-dinner' recipe to prove it. Ladies and gentlemen I give you.. 'Winter Tipsy Trifles'. Decadent, delicious and just the thing to round of a perfectly romantic evening with the one that you love.... ahh.
You see, during these dark wintry nights we all need a wee something to lift our spirits. Something dark, sweet and preferably with a kick of whiskey would do the trick! So, I am presenting a wonderful chocolaty treat that will whisk away those cold February blues. Curl up with one of these and your honey bunny before a roaring fire, and all will seem well with the world...
These wonderful desserts are also very easy to make and are a fun Scots-Irish spin on the traditional English Sherry Trifle, using Bushmills Irish whiskey instead of sherry. So, have a go. Make one of these and you never know!!!
Dark Chocolate Custard ingredients:
• 4 egg yolks
• 1 Tbsp corn flour
• 1 cup milk
• 1 cup light cream
• 2 Tbsp sugar
• 11.5 oz (1 1/2 cups) dark organic chocolate (at least 70% cocoa )
How to make it:
1. Gently heat the milk in a small saucepan, being careful not to boil. Remove from the heat.
2. In a clean bowl combine the egg yolks, cornstarch and sugar and gently whisk together.
3. Whisk in the warm milk to egg mixture and then transfer all the combined ingredients to the small saucepan used to heat the milk earlier.
4. Cook the custard on medium-low heat for 2 minutes stirring constantly until the custard is thick enough to coat the back of a spoon. Stir in the chocolate until it has melted.
Irish tipsy trifle ingredients: (serves 4-6)
• 4 oz lady fingers or an 8”sponge cake (cut in to small piece)
• 3 Tbsp raspberry preserves
• 4 Tbsp (¼ cup) raspberry flavored liqueur
• 4 Tbsp (¼ cup) whiskey
• 10 oz raspberries
• 4 Tbsp (¼ cup) sugar (plus 2 Tbsp water)
• Dark chocolate custard (see custard recipe)
• 4 fluid oz (½ cup) heavy whipping cream (1 cup whipped)
• 1 Tbsp fine granulated sugar
• (for the garnish)
• 3 oz (¼ cup) Chocolate (shaved)
• 6 mint sprigs
• 6 raspberries
Hope you enjoy your Valentines Day!
Judie the Irish Foodie.